Thursday 29 April 2010

The lines of Skye

I've been using Google maps for a while now to work on a map of all the lines on Skye, the following map is the result.


View Isle of Skye Railway in a larger map

The blue lines represent both of the planned lines by the North British and Highland Railways, and the Skye Marble Railway (as this followed the same route as the HR proposal to Torrin). This also is the 'network' that I will be using as the basis for my 'history' that I will create for the IoSR when the layout is complete.

The turquoise line is the Ord quartzite quarry tramway, a line of only a few tens of metres long from the quarry to the main road.

The purple line shows the Talisker distillery tramway from the distillery, to the pier at Carbostbeg.

The yellow line is a funiclar railway for the Storr Lochs hydroelectic power schemes which was built to help transport materials during the construction of the HEP scheme.

The red line is the longest of the 'independent' railways on Skye, the Lealt Valley Diatomite Railway, running from the coast at Invertote, to Loch Cuithir.

Over time I hope to visit all of these sites and photograph whatever remains. For now though, the map will have to do.

I'll be posting some shots from Streetview soon which show some of the lines, along with some of the history of each.

3 comments:

Anonymouse said...

Tom,
well done and thanks. I just had a very enjoyable wander around Skye imagining being on a roadside tramway trundling along at a human pace in amongst some of my favourite scenery. Did you finally make it to Kew?
Kevan

Tom said...

Thanks Kevan, glad you enjoyed it.

I've not gotten to Kew yet, i've been rather busy at weekends recently and the National Archives are only open on a Saturday at the weekend. I was going to go there on Monday but they're closed on Bank Hoildays too...!

I'll find a date soon when I can make it and see what can be done. I'd like to get a license to reproduce the photos I take under copyright, but not sure how much that will cost. If i'm able to then I'd like to do a few blog posts tying up between the plans and google streetview.

Tom.

bowaters bert said...

Hi Tom

A wander around Skye would indeed be an immensely enjoyable experience. I did it in 1998 or 99 (foggy recolections!) I'd love to return one day. Superb scenery & seetting.