Monday 10 May 2010

Portree Shed, AKA "What can I fit in a boxfile....?"

For a while now I've been thinking about doing a small photographic diorama to pose my stock on for photographic purposes, and for a bit of fun whilst I'm avoiding finishing off clearing the loft to start 'the big layout'.

A thread on NGRM really spurred me on with the idea, before then I was thinking of constructing something like a long section of totally rural track on a foamboard base. However, after reading the thread and discussing ideas for other people's boxfiles it go me on to thinking about doing an engine shed for myself.

As Portree is the end of the branches to Uig and Dunvegan I thought that would be a good place for a stabling shed. There was a 1:24 layout based on the same idea.


The trackplan is simpler than simple, but then it's not intended to be operational, just a photographic diorama. I think any more and it may begin to look crowded.


In these shots the Backwoods Fowler and NBR tank are on the shed lines, and the WD Hunslet is on the running line.

I'm hoping to cram a small workshop down one side of the shed, a bit like Pilton. There's going to be a workbench with tools on, a lathe and maybe a drill press.

I might add some grass to the front flap of the boxfile, not sure yet. I'm also hoping to add lighting to the buildings and hide a battery and switch in the low relief carriage shed opposite the engine shed.

This might prove useful for helping establish the 'identity' of the Isle of Skye Railway too and seeing how building and stock styles work together. At the least it should help me 'keep my eye in' until Armadale is at the scenic stage.

No comments: